1/25/2009

STAKE CONFERENCE

Today was Stake Conference and, as usual, we arrived 1 hour early to make sure we got a comfortable pew and not a folding chair. The talks were filled with the spirit and the music was beautiful. This is my first lengthy post, sorry, but I really felt the spirit today as each speaker was giving their talk. If ever I have the slightest doubt all I have to do is listen to a church hymn and my testimony ignites. I know this church is true. I know Joseph Smith was a true Prophet. I know that this is exactly where I'm supposed to be. I know that I will have my husband and children for time and all eternity. I know that I love and have faith in my Heavenly Father and His son, Jesus Christ. I know that Jesus Christ suffered so that we may return to Heavenly Father. First President Hampton, 1st Counselor, spoke on the phrase of the Lord "Come Follow Me" and gave the examples of Lehi's dream and his desire to share his dream with his family. He also spoke of Saul the Prosecutor, after listening to Jesus became Paul the Apostle. Disiples today are to continue to pray and follow the Lord. Angels today are sent in the form of Visiting Teachers, Home Teachers, Class Leaders, Bishops....(makes me feel a little guilty that I'm not a better visiting teacher, sorry Misty). There was a young man, 17 years old, and he spoke on staying true as a youth. He spoke about how him and the other priesthood holders on his football team come together before a football game and pray! How cool it that! When he feels temptation he sings to himself "Called to Serve". The Smith couple spoke as well. She was inactive, but her son would go to church with her parents. After he was baptized, he asked her to please come back to church because that's the only way they would be able to go to the temple. She returned faithfully and prayed and fasted for her non-member husband to ultimately join the church, she never pressured. He spoke of how and when he began to build curiosity regarding the church. He admitted to not letting the missionaries in when they would knock at the door, then over time he did allow them in the door. He went through several sets of missionaries while taking the discussions. He was starting to build a testimony and through losing his father to cancer he found the answer he was looking for. While going through his fathers things he came across a picture of the Mormon Temple. At that moment he knew, that his father too had welcomed missionaries into his home. He returned and was baptized last October. He will be receiving the Melchizedek priesthood this month...AWESOME!! Sweet Sister Nevarez spoke and she was sooo nervous, but as usual, her sweet spirit shone through and she gave a beautiful talk on faith in the Lord during afflictions and burdens. President and Sister Sanchez, Mission President, spoke on sharing the Gospel. Don't worry about feeling that we are not "perfect" enough to share the gospel, we just need to share what we have witnessed. Witnessing investigators entering the waters of baptism, worthy 8 year old's getting baptized, witnessing Temple marriages, witnessing healings from a Priesthood blessing. And final speaker was President Rich, Stake President, I Love this man...he cries when he speaks of the Lord. I LOVE IT! My Ward family knows how I love when a man can express with words and actions (not one or the other, but both) his love and appreciation, if not for all things, at least for his wife, children, and the Lord. He referenced Alma 32: Developing and strengthening our faith; Alma 33: How we should plant the seed; then drilled down versus that I will post at the end. He gave counsel to have Family Home Evening, Family Prayer, Family Activities, Be More Caring, Be More Forgiving, Go To The Temple Often, for those struggling spiritually, he read verse 7 of How Firm A Foundation: He reminded us that He will not forsake or forget us.
7. The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I’ll never, no never, I’ll never, no never,
I’ll never, no never, no never forsake!

SCRIPTURE REFERENCES:
Young Brother:
Mosiah 5:15
Sister Smith: Alma 5:38
Brother Smith: 3 Nephi 11:32
Sister Nevarez: Mosiah 24: 14-15; D&C 43:45; D&C 84:88; Psalms 145:9; Helaman 5:12
President Rich: Alma 32; Alma 33: 11, 14, 16, 19-20, 22-23; The Acts 13-28; Romans 7, 12-13, 15-16; 1 Corinthians 7, 9-11, 13, 15-16; 2 Corinthians 10-12 (Paul); John 9:23
Others: Mosiah 18; D&C 123; Luke 10:38-42

3 comments:

Laura said...

wow thanks for sharing such a wonderful post, you have such a kind sweet spirit - is President Hampton by chance Scott Hampton?

oh and i will have my blog back up in the next couple of days.

there's always something.. said...

Hi Laura, so good to hear from you! Yes, it's Scott Hampton, he's very cool! Did you know John Hadfield as well? So very sad, he passed away last April. He was so awesome!

Can't wait to see your blog..

kathyhoward800 said...

It is not often that you can be touched by the spirit so profoundly. I am so glad you are keeping this record so we can always go back and be encouraged by the wonderful talks. You are blessed to have those wonderful, spiritual people around you.

Mom